Wuhan Botanical Garden of the Chinese Academy of Sciences seeks candidates to fill up to 10 senior research scientist positions. The Garden will provide successful candidates startup funding up to RMB 2 millions (i.e., “The 100-Talent Project” of the Chinese Academy of Sciences). Applicants must hold a Ph.D. degree in biological sciences, botany, genetics, horticulture, environmental sciences, geography, or related disciplines and should have completed at least one year of postdoctoral experience. We seek applicants who will develop projects to attract external funding and contribute to the Garden’s ongoing researches in the fields of plant genetics and genomics, economic botany, aquatic plant biology, plant ecology, ecosystem management, and horticulture. Applicants will be evaluated based on their ability and potential to obtain extramural research funding, to publish their research findings, to communicate effectively at multiple levels (i.e. to students as well as funding agencies), to interact and collaborate with existing faculties. Please visit our Web site http://www.wbgcas.cn for more information. Applications are invited for research positions in the following areas:
1) Population genetics: This research area should focus on selection, adaptation, and conservation. Candidates with experience in population genetics of quantitative traits are preferred.
2) Cytogenetics: Successful applicant should have interdisciplinary working experience and is able to develop collaborations with existing faculties working on genomics and functional genomics.
3) Functional genomics: The primary research interest is to identify genes involved in plant secondary metabolism using forward and reverse genetics and functional genomic approaches. Outstanding candidates in other areas relating to plant development will also be considered.
4) Biogeography: Preference may be given to an ecological geographer who studies the present distribution of plants and its changes under global change context.
5) Ecosystem ecology: We seek a scientist with expertise in forest nutrient cycling. Individuals bridging terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems are especially encouraged to apply.
6) Restoration ecology: Candidates’ research focus should be of direct relevance to the science and practice of ecological restoration. Preference may be given to a field-oriented ecologists conducting research on ecosystem services (e.g., water quality and wetland restoration).
7) Conservation biology: Candidates’ research focus can be of field, experimental or theoretical work in either natural environments or agriculture dominant landscapes.
8) Economic botany: Preference may be given to candidates with expertise in the field of aquatic botany/medical botany.
9) Horticulture (2): The principal responsibilities for the positions are to conduct research on fruit trees or ornamental horticulture crops, including plant physiology, plant breeding and/or plant protection.
A complete application package should include a letter addressing the qualifications and interests in the position, statement of philosophy on research, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Applications and inquiries should be addressed to: Mr. Xiaojun Quan, Department of Human Resources, Wuhan Botanical Garden, the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430074, P.R. China.
Email: email@example.com; Phone: +86 27 87510727; Fax: +86 27 87510251.